Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Wanderlust Yoga Review

I've been so busy my first week and a half here with eight hours of school, a half hour commute to and from every weekday, trying to pack in as many activities around Paris after class while still making it home for dinner (and passing out an hour later). I haven't had any time for a workout, which has definitely made me feel sluggish. 

I was excited when my friend Milena knew of a place that offered free yoga on Sundays, and since we didn't have anything planned that morning, we decided to give it a try.

Wanderlust is a nightclub that transforms itself into a yoga studio every Sunday morning. Kind of weird, right? I had never heard of anything like it. I wonder how many people party there the night before and then return in the morning to cure their hangovers. I left an hour early (everywhere in Paris takes at least half an hour to get to) and ended up being 20 minutes early, so I waited outside patiently with the other yogis. 

I definitely wasn't the only person to hear of the free deal though. The line was piling out the door and we were all smushed into a small cramped space. It was very comfortable. Quite the workout itself isn’t it, trying to push your way towards oxygen? I got accidentally smacked in the face by a few yoga mats because it was that crowded. I felt like I waiting in line for Wanderlust the club and not Wanderlust the yoga studio! 

See how our mats were literally on top of each other's?!

Inside, the dim lights reminded me that I was in a club, and I had trouble relaxing because I couldn't stop imagining couples getting it on at the same spot I was trying to do yoga. The fact that we were only two inches away from each other didn't help. 

It was interesting taking the class en français. I learned how to say "breathe in" and "breathe out.” We did a lot of breathing exercises that I've never done back in the U.S. and at one point, I had to pinch my nose while holding my opposite leg up. Not like I knew the reason behind what I was doing though, so I'm sure I made a confused face multiple times throughout the class. 

When we finally got down to business, we didn't hold any of the yoga poses for more than two seconds. The instructor only had us go through the motions, which was disappointing because I barely felt a thing afterwards. I know it was a free class but I wish that the instructor could've made us work a little more. 


I can't judge since that was my first group exercise class in France, but I hope that class wasn't representative of the majority of yoga classes in Paris. Not feeling the least bit sore was such a let down that I doubt I’ll ever return to Wanderlust (the yoga studio…maybe the club still has a chance). 

No comments:

Post a Comment