Tuesday, January 7, 2014

That Time We Got Tipsy On Top of La Tour Eiffel

My first day in Paris was a bit of a whirlwind. I flew in the night before and passed out as soon as I arrived at my new humble abode. I'll post pictures of it soon! It was dark when I went to sleep and when I woke up at 8:30 am the morning after, you would think that the sun would've popped out to say hello but it decided to lay low instead. I woke up to darkness for the first time since my old roommate Mac and I (crazily) woke up at 5 am to wait in line for three hours to buy the new iPhone. We're big Apple fans. 

I patiently waited for the sun to rise while my host mom drove me over to my study abroad program's office, where I got to meet all the other students.

There were six other girls in my program and each of us were as eager to see the city as the next girl. After orientation, we got straight to business and decided to go to the most touristy spot first.

After struggling with the Metro for a bit, we arrived at La Tour Eiffel with our cameras ready in tow. I hope Lady Eiffel was ready for us.

Someone suggested that we climb up the stairs instead of taking the elevators and once the first person agrees excitedly, there's no going back. 

Mary and I before the workout

We hauled ourselves 1,556 steps up the stairs which surprising wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We kept ourselves busy by cracking jokes, laughing, complaining (this happened quite a bit), talking to strangers, and keeping a head count of everyone at all times.

Blair, Gabby, Maggie and I rewarded ourselves with a glass of champagne and an even greater view.


After making a toast to new friends and cities, we walked around the top some more. 10 minutes later, we were tipsy. I guess the altitude and the (obviously strenuous) work-out got to us. Maggie and I couldn't stop laughing at how sad it was that we felt such a buzz off one glass of champagne. We skipped around the La Tour Eiffel some more before taking the long flight of stairs back down. You can bet the buzz was gone by the time we reached the bottom.

We decided to wait until the Eiffel Tower lights turned on before we left, but they weren't cooperating. The girls and I were determined and had a mini photoshoot on the Jardin du Champ des Mars while stalling at the same time. As soon as we were about to turn around and go home, there it was: Paris and shimmer. The timing was so great and we were so excited that everyone stared in silence for a few moments.



Vintage



A failed attempt at taking the perfect illusion photo
Afterwards, we gathered in one of our apartments and talked for hours.


It was a perfect, perfect day filled with new friends, experiences, and of course the impromptu work-out. There is nothing I love more than a spontaneous rendezvous with a fun group of people.


No comments:

Post a Comment